Thursday, June 23, 2011

More new beginings.

About three weeks ago I replied to a customer service job posting online at Craigslist. I love Craigslist. flexible hours you make, mornings, afternoons, evenings, have to be good with people, have experience working with people, $15 base pay. Um, I can do that! I call with absolutely no idea what I'm calling about and hit it off/chat it up with the receptionist. "Well, you sound like someone (the managers name) would really like to meet, so why don't you come in at 5:30 for an interview?" "5:30? as in an hour?" "Yep, just throw on something professional and bring a pen and paper." Okayyy, you can't tell a girl to throw on something professional in an hour and look good after working and sweating all day long with kids and owning only a few "business professional" things for that matter for that reason- you work with kids. Well, I put on something professional, heels and all and went to an interview with still no clue what I'm interviewing for. The manager is this tall, awkward, wanna-be-business man who's in his 20's. These were my thoughts when I returned home from the interview, I now feel different about him having spent this whole work day in training with him. Back to that day, I meet with him for about 15 minutes, throw him some sarcasm and periodically laugh at how he carries himself. I don't think he knew how to handle my personality. He walked around with a mug. It should have said, "#1 Boss" for a better effect. Then after that, I go into a room with 4 other people and we watch an hour and a half long power point on the products the company deals with. Oh my god, I didn't sign up for this. "Take good notes", he says. I took a few then put my pen down. After the power point everyone met with him one on one one more time when they were told whether they seemed to fit the job or not. "Kelsey, I just want to know if you are still interested, I saw you stop taking notes almost half way through the power point." "I'm still interested, I just didn't think a lot of it was relevant. I feel like I got the most important points. Isn't that the purpose of notes? You don't write down everything." "Okay, Kelsey, I like you're lets-move-on-we-have-other-important-things-to-do- attitude and I'm I'm wondering if you like good news?" You can imagine the look on my face as I said sarcastically, "Who doesn't?"

Long story, not so short, I am a new sales representative for Vector, a company who works in part with CUTCO products. Ever heard of them? Kitchen appliances, mostly knives, hunting and fishing accessories and then some- pretty awesome stuff. I can't stop thinking about how my manager cut a penny during our interview and how I got to do the same today. We don't go door to door- that's lameO and I would never. It's all appointments made through people you know and the people they tell about the products so I will always be selling sweet shit to people I know. You make $15/hr base pay or 10% of the sales- which ever is more. Easyy.Telling the manager I could sell a comb to a bald man probably did it. ;) since I have absolutely no experience in sales. Retail? yes, little, but sales? No.

I'm so excited that I have a second job that I can dress business professional at. Not that I don't love my khakis and kindercare polo with all my heart but I do love a good pair of heels that get to stay on all day long. Today was my first day of training and I'm excited to get this goin. I totally went out on a limb when I called that day, and laughed to myself and friends as I found out just what my new job would be. But, I am thinking I'm going to love it. And a ton of people came to mind who would just love these products. Joel thinks it's quite ironic that knives are my worst fear and that soon I will be selling them. 

 Well, new second job.

No comments:

Post a Comment