Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Successful trip, I'd say!

Where to start? 

Yesterday was amazing. On Monday morning, Joel and I spent some time on our laptops, being productive. I connected with one of the Fort Collins Kindercares that had contacted me the week before I left to set up an interview. There are 5 other Kindercares, between Fort Collins, Loveland and Greeley, so I called all of them. All of them are hiring so I figured I would power it out and meet with all of them. And conveniently enough, all were either hiring for infants, tods or twos.. all of the age groups I do best in! So yesterday, I was more than excited, and not one bit nervous to meet all of these directors. After two and a half hours of driving to Fort Collins, I met with the first director and we immediately hit it off. It was, by no means and interview. We spent more time getting to know each other and laughing, then asking and answering your usual, standard interview questions. I knew right away that she was someone that I could work for. And it was even better when she told me more than once with a smirk on her face and sarcasm in her voice, "I want you, so you shouldn't even bother visiting the other centers!" Gosh, she is totally my style. Part of me wanted to just be done with my job search and take the job on the spot, but then part of me told myself that I still needed to meet the other directors. 

My potential new employer, said she had a handful of positions open. I stressed to her how I work better with younger age groups and how I would love to continue to be an infant teacher, like I am now. Only one of their infant rooms is open, but conveniently, she has 4 infants starting in the next couple weeks and if I am hired, I could potentially be the lead older infant teacher! Peeeerfect! The only negative about that position as of now, would be starting with closing hours: 9:30-6:30. One awesome thing about this position, is that she has already offered me more money than I am making now. 

The second center and director I met with was just as nice but I didn't feel us click like I felt with the first director. What was great about the available positions here, was that I had the option between toddlers and twos. Both age groups I work well with, but they aren't babies! Why I love babies so much is beyond me, especially because I was terrified of the baby room when I first started working for Kindercare. So in choosing between age groups, I would be choosing my hours; either 7:45-4:45 like I work now, or 8:30-5:30. Both shifts better than the shirt offered at the first center. 

I figured, I was offered both positions, liked both centers, and didn't have to be torn between any more than two. So I left my job search at that and continued on with our day in finding us a place to call home. I would sleep on the job decision for now. 

We ended up contacting a lady who I had called weeks ago about a duplex in Loveland, which is a little south of Fort Collins. The side I had called about, she had already rented out, but she was still in the process of remodeling the other half, which she told me would be available October first. If I took either of those jobs, I would be within 15 minutes of work so I was crossing my fingers that we would love this place. Sure enough, the place is perfect for us and our female landlord is hilarious. I think talking with her on the phone a few times, built awesome rapport and I think that helped us a lot. So, I will be moving in shortly after the first of October, and Joel will be there shortly after the first of November, when his Alaska/Nashville tour is over. I hope I never think differently ;) but I could not be more excited to live with Joel. After over 3 years of dating, we are ready.

So, Loveland it is! When we first started talking about moving to Colorado, my mom said, kiddingly, "You guys should move to Loveland!" and it's funny now, because that's how it all worked out. 

After thinking last night, and this morning, I decided to take the job at the first center I visited. And I am happy to announce that I start my new job on the 15th of October. Kind of surreal! It makes me feel a thousand emotions when I think about leaving my friends, my amazing co-workers, family and just all around comfort that I've had for 24 years.  I am probably going to be a big baby for the next 3 weeks, with occasional watery eyes, and I am foreseeing a tsunami of tears on my last day at the Hudson Kindercare. I am going to miss you all like crazy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment