Monday, September 1, 2014


Is it seriously September right now? Bring on the changing leaves, scarves and hot apple cider. Being at the drive in the other night and not caring for the second movie, I rolled over in the bed of the truck and watched the stars and wished so badly to make a wish on a shooting one. I thought how badly I want to go camping one last time this year. Can we, please? 

I obviously have a serious case of "social media-itis" this weekend. I can't get off this sheet. I've told Joel so many times, while I've been periodically on Instagram and Facebook for a handful of hours that, "Don't make fun of me, I'm doing what makes my soul happy!" And then I laugh because this statement can literally be applied to anything. The main thing is, if it makes you feel happy, content, thankful, you better keep doing it. It would be silly for you to stop. So, you can imagine how bad my social media-itis is when Joel is out of town and I have a relaxing weekend with literally not an obligation in sight. This is the good life, people! 

I cannot beleive it's September. Labor Day!  This weekend, along with many other summer holidays, I want to be back home. On the river. Or eating everything in sight and on a stick at the MN State Fair. Mini- dough nut beer, you guys? My mouth immediately watered upon reading about this great phenomenon and then I pouted because, once again, I won't be swimming in the state fair greatness this year. Chalk it up onto the list of all the things you take for granted until they're gone. I'll get over it, I will. 

I told myself yesterday that I would keep notes on my continued grateful posts and recap at the end of the week. That is clearly not happening. Let me break today's gratefulness down for you. 

 I am grateful for paid time off. The fact that I am getting paid today, to drink coffee, read way too much, sit in the sunshine with my cats, do even more laundry and gosh, the 65 something year old soul inside me thinks the list could go on. Well, that's just wonderful. 



I am grateful for kids. Especially the kids in my life. The kids in my class, the kids I babysit outside of work and the kids that belong to my dearest friends and family members, that I can't wait to be back around and apart of their lives. I would imagine I fell in love with kids, learning about and realizing how important every single second is that you spend with them. The fact of molding this little human's life into anything you want to teach them and show them and oh, my goodness, it's the coolest concept ever. And lets be real, the scariest. I realize more and more as years go on, that there are few ways of parenting "correctly." One must do the best of how they know and show constant love and encouragement and that's what it's about; showing them as much of the world as you can and constantly showering them with too much love. Kids are so much themselves, and that is something I love. They are so curious and expressive and 100% themselves. What you see is what you get, and that's admirable. While babysitting last night, the 5 year old looked at me with the straightest face and said, "I enjoy picking my boogers. Sometimes I roll them into little balls. It's awesome." I could not hold my silent mode, gut laughter inside. Oh my gosh, you guys! Absolutely no filter. At times, I understand this isn't always the best thing. But that's where you come in. Kids are just hilarious. I'm so lucky to spend my days with them.

One more, super simple thing I am grateful for today, that smiley mug up there. You read correctly, yes, that smiley mug. If you keep up with me, you've seen it before. How can something so ridiculous looking and simple make someone so happy? Maybe it's not the mug. Maybe it's my mentality. Either way, that mug makes me so frickin happy. I smile every time I look at it. 

I hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day! I'll be right here, in my back yard, constantly blowing up your news feed. 

Cheers! 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment