Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bratty kids.

Everyone knows kids listen way better to people other than their parents. And I have experienced this first hand many times. For example, I used to have a little boy in my class, when I was working full time in toddlers, who would refuse to put his blanket away at drop-off everyday while his mom was there. The second she shut the door, I would grab his cubby down, tell him to put it away and he would, willingly and with a smile on his face. That smile meant, "I have all control over my mom." I refuse to ever let my children control my life. And I have to say that is very hard for me sometimes because at drop-off and pick ups, I hate to be the one to intervene and I feel embarrassed for the parents that they have no control over their kids. What also makes it very hard for me is that I don't have kids of my own so I really won't know until the day I do. But seriously. There is NO way my kids won't have manners and will demand things from me. I can't stand sitting in front of parents who give in to their bossy, demanding little children and then complain about how they act. You allow them to act that way! One time, I was in the younger twos room at my work (I work with the older twos) and a little boy's mom came to pick him up for the day. His mom literally said, "okay, (child's name here) it's time to go home, lets put the truck away" probably 7 times. At the eighth time, I said, "(child's name here", you put the truck away or I put the truck away." He walked right over to the shelf and put it away. There is a little girl at my work who's mom was just given a BMW for her birthday and the little girl doesn't like it, she likes the van better and will throw a fit if she has to ride in the new BMW. So the mom won't drop her off or pick her up in the BMW-- are you kidding me? I would drive that BMW everywhere. Hello! Your two year old shouldn't run your life! I'm thinking to myself right now, I hope I'm still blogging when I'm a little older and have kids. I will probably get a colicky baby, just to give me a run for my money. Long story short, I'm biting my tongue right now because I have been through situation after situation at my work with kids, I've studied early childhood education, nannied for about two years, my two year olds at my job are amazingly well behaved and I am with (family member's name here)'s family and all I want to do is put in my two sense but I seriously don't feel like I can. If you were a mom, would you take advice from someone who's been working in childcare for almost a decade? All I want to do is help. Did I mention, I'm amazing at my job?

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, I do hope I'm alive to see you in action as a mother. It is always easier to see from the outside looking in, however, I do know what you speak of and I am in agreement. Many parents just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete