Sunday, May 1, 2011

I love books. And happiness.

I went to my parents house today for about an hour or so, chatted with my mom, and watched a little HGTV. My mom and I are such suckers for a good "For Rent" or "House Hunters International" episode. Anyways, about a week ago my mom gave me The Happiness Project after I hassled her for a good couples of weeks while she was reading it. "Just take it, I can finish it later" she finally said. Don't worry, I'll read fast :) So I just have to say, I came home, cleaned all my floors on my hands and knees, like I said I would, and started the book. A few hours later, I am so glad to have this book in my hands. So glad, I need to blog about it.


This book is awesome. I have already come across really great quotes in the first couple chapters. You know me and a good quote ;) In the "Getting Started" portion of the book, I came across this great paragraph. I need to share it with you. 

 According to current research, in the determination of a person's level of happiness, genetics accounts for about 50 percent, life circumstances, such as age, gender, ethnicity, marital status, income, health, occupation, and religious affiliation, account for about 10 to 20 percent; and the remainder is a product of how a person thinks and acts. In other words, people have an inborn disposition that's set within a certain range, but they can boost themselves to the top of their happiness range or push themselves down to the bottom of their happiness range by their actions. This finding confirmed my own observations. It seems obvious that some people are more naturally ebullient or melancholic than others and that, at the same time, people's decisions about how to live their lives also effect their happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment