Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Everyone has his burden. What counts is how you carry it."

I'm having a very hard time focusing on the blog that I originally intended on writing due to getting sucked into one of my favorite shows, House Hunters. Although, along with today's events, it's making me contemplate moving somewhere where the winter is between 50 and 65 degrees and where there is never any snow, ever. The reason I have been watching HGTV all day long, realistically about 4 hours now, is because I am now stranded. Don't get me wrong, being stranded somewhere with HGTV and free internet isn't so bad ;) This morning, I totaled my car. Up until today, I have never experienced feeling completely helpless in a vehicle. It's right up there with the worst feeling ever. I was probably 4 minutes into my lovely drive to Kindercare, when I lost control going down a hill and the more I tried to turn right to try and get off the road, the more my car pulled left, right into the other lane and an oncoming car. How I calmly said, "shit, shit, shit" and didn't scream as I saw myself going downhill, and wayyy too fast into the front of another car, is beyond me. She swerved to the right, trying to get out of this insane oncoming car (me) and I swear I wasn't driving fast. My mom even said, "you are usually one to adapt and drive to weather as you need to." And I am. I hit the other car on her driver's side, spun around in a circle and eventually came to a stop. I sat for a second, took a deep breath, got out and ran to the other car, which stopped farther away from my car than I expected it to. Holy moly, was the road slippery. 


Neither of us was hurt, not one bruise. Although, when I eventually got in the car with my mom, she commented on the bruise on my cheekbone. "No mom, that's a stress zip." She pointed it out just like my babies do at work, only they actually point at it and get so close with their fingers, they actually touch it my face. 


If I had to hit anyone, I'm glad I hit the lady I did. God, if I would have had to deal with an asshole, that cares only about his/her car, I definitely would have had a hard time telling myself to have a good attitude about it. I thought to myself, There are two ways I can handle this situation. I can be crabby and think the world is ending, but that's ridiculous and not my style, orrr I can smile, and tell myself this is just a tiny little speed bump in the road of life. It is just a car, I'm alive and eventually, I get a new car out of it! 


Turns out, my insurance company wrote me a check for $6,640, hours after the accident and now I'm parked at my parents house for the next few days with a personal car shopper and driver to and from work (my mom) (Thanks, I owe you my life. You know this) and I have that much money to put down on a new car.. with a sun roof... heated seats.. automatic start.. satellite radio... Ah, this is fun. It's so weird how fast, I became helpless today and how I still think life is fantastic. 


Remember people, it's all in how you look at things.

No comments:

Post a Comment