Saturday, June 22, 2013

And if the music is good, you dance.

Last night, as I was reading my amazing little book on happiness, Joel called to inform me that there had been some miscommunication and he did not have a show at that little country bar I spoke of. Deciding what to wear and putting makeup on my face did not sound like something I wanted to do when I was cozy on my couch, already in my comfy clothes, book in hand, lap top to my side, candles and incense lit. But for some reason I felt like being spontaneous so I threw on some makeup and a maxi dress and popped the top off my new favorite cider beer.

After running into some people we hadn't seen in awhile, giving them hugs and sharing a few laughs on the street, we accidentally fell into a great night. There's a bar in Loveland that plays all my favorite kinds of music; techno, dubstep, house, you name it, and they have DJs through every weekend. There was a very talented girl mixing all my favorite songs, so of course, I was immediately in love with her and everything she was doing. She took a break and I took full advantage of the opportunity to tell her how great she is and how much I was inspired and how badly I wanted her skills. Joel turned to me and informed me that when he makes enough money someday, he would be happy to buy me my own set of turn tables. I made him promise and then I laughed as I told Joel and his buddy about how I should have been on the show "Made" back in 2004. "I work in Childcare but I want to be a DJ." Do you remember that show? How entertaining. I still think it would be an amazing hobby. I can see it now, childcare by day, DJ by night. Sounds like madness if you ask me. And to sit and mix so many amazing songs and artists together and give people fun beats to get jiggy to, ugh, it sounds like something I want to be fully apart of. Because you know I would be ripping it up behind those tables to all my own beats. It makes me laugh when people ask me what my favorite kind of music is. It catches them off guard for some reason, that I don't understand. Do I not look like someone who likes to get lost in music on the dance floor? "Do you like... dance with glow sticks?" is the question that I particularly loved one time. I mean, I have, yes, and if you haven't, try it sometime! Put that neon pink and yellow glow stick around your head as a head band, put some on your wrists and enjoy everything you are doing. Joel and I were talking about how opposite we are when it comes to music. He plays acoustic guitar and I love my techno and want to DJ as a hobby. That sounds like a reality tv show right there ;) Just kidding! The DJ's name was Chelsea and we laughed as I told her my name and that apparently we were destined to meet. Moving here from Texas with her boyfriend, who also DJs and has taught her everything she knows, she is always looking to make sweet, new friends, just like I am. What completely sucked me in was the moment she started playing a song that came out in the early 90s when techno and house music first started to surface. I remember being in middle school, my brother in high school, and I missed the bus one day. My brother, who is 5 years older was not so thrilled to have to take his little sister to school but let me tell you how thrilled I was after the fact. And I'm sure I had a 5 star day, because we all know music can do that to you. Anyways, Chelsea remixed the song that my brother played in the car that morning. That song was also remixed by Tiesto the first time I had ever seen him in Chicago and the memory of my brother first introducing it to me makes me smile. For some reason that song just sings to me, literally. After exchanging contact info with my new favorite local DJ, and both making it clear that we needed to see each other again, we went home after a very successful night spent on the dance floor. 

See you every single Friday, Chelsmosis, you are awesome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment